Webroot recently revealed the results from their 2018 edition of its annual threat report. Here are some of their key findings:
1. The polymorphism trend continues. Polymorphism is the process where malicious software changes its underlying code to avoid detection. In 2017, 94% of the malware encountered was seen on only ONE machine.
2. Cryptojacking, the secret use of your computing device to mine cryptocurrency, is gaining traction as a profitable and anonymous attack that requires minimal effort.
3. Windows 10 is almost twice as safe as Windows 7. However, the migration rate for enterprises has been quite slow.
4. Ransomware and its variants has become an even greater threat. WannaCry and NotPetya infected more than 200,000 machines in over 100 countries within 24 hours.
5. Phishing remains one of the most used and most successful attack vectors. In 2017, 90% of the phishing attacks observed came from a tiny 62 domains. In addition to this, 50 of the unique IPs hosting phishing sites produced over 1.5 million phishing attacks.
6. Of the hundreds of thousands of new websites created each day in 2017, 25% of URLs were deemed malicious, suspicious, or moderately risky.
For full details of the report, click here.
To read how Huon IT can protect your business from these emerging cyber threats, click here.